Wednesday, May 9, 2012

It's The Little Things

Pop quiz: What do Velveeta cheese, bacon pieces, Craisins, baby puffs, and Community coffee have in common? Not anything, unless you live overseas. Those are the items we received in a care package from the States this week. I never thought I would get so excited about Velveeta, but let me tell you, I was excited.

Sometimes it's the little things that make your day. The first time your baby smiles at you, a hug when you really need it, and a care package from the States, especially when you don't expect it. In a land where people are striving to make it day to day, seeing poverty and strife, and trying so hard to learn a difficult language, it takes a lot out of us. It's easy to get too focused that we don't relax and just enjoy the day.

These types of items are hard, if not impossible to find. There isn't a lot of pork here, baby puffs are not present, and what even is Velveeta? Not sure, but we love it! So much that I'm using it next week for Taco Tuesday. Yes, I'm stealing Rosa's idea and using here...TACO TUESDAY! Just bringing a little bit of Texas with us. So next week we will have nachos with the Velveeta; something I never imagined we would be able to do.

Now, don't get me wrong...I love the food here. Hummus...good. Schwarma...good. Falafel...GOOD! But sometimes we just need a taste of home. So thank you to the nice lady who sent us the yummy foods. They were delicious!