Monday, July 7, 2014

The Acropolis

The second day in Athens we spent most of the day at the Acropolis. Mid-morning we hopped on the train again and headed out. Karis was so cute when each time the train left she kept waving and saying, "Bye train!"


We found a nice little restaurant to eat lunch. Eliana kept looking for birds to feed again. 



The acropolis was up on the hill above the pedestrian walkway, so Kevin took the girls to get ice cream while I made the hike up the hill to take some pictures. The amphitheater was huge and they still use it for performances. You can tell the seats and floor are newer. But the backdrop is gorgeous.


At the top you can overlook the city of Athens and see for miles. It's quite obvious why the ancient Greeks chose this location to build their monuments. This is the Temple of Olympian Zeus. Most of the columns have fallen. But they are trying to preserve what is left.


The front, famous part of the Parthenon was being worked on, so I wasn't able to see it too well. But this is the back part, which was still magnificent.



Since I was by myself it wasn't as easy to take selfies. Thankfully I offered to a group of three to take their picture together in exchange for a pic myself. After eating all the delicious Greek food the past two weeks, and not exercising, I think I gained a few pounds in this picture!


This is the Erechtheum. It is an ancient temple dedicated to Athena and Poseidon.



This is a view from across the way, on top of another huge rock.


As I looked over the horizon from the Parthenon I could see the Mediterranean Sea and ships out in the distnance (if you click on the picture you will be able to see them.) I just marveled at God's beautiful creation and just praised Him in His handiwork of beauty and prayed for the nation of Greece to turn to Him.